September 22, 2021, 09:54:34 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Obsessive_Freak's artwork  (Read 10015 times)

Offline Thy Obsessive Freak

• From a freak of society
    • View Profile
Obsessive_Freak's artwork
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:53:27 AM »
Hey-ho, so making my own gallery right here. I'm putting up my comic, though issue is that I'm no sure just how much to put up. I've done roughly 50+ pages and I'm not sure that would be a wise idea to splatter all across here. So I'm just putting only these pages up until I get an okay from someone  :noidea:
Anyways as mentioned, this here's only a comic to further practice my skills, as I wasn't very motivated to go back and forth with my laptop and then setting up my really fancy tablet so I could do them digitally. What I've made up for for my lack of skills so that readers can hopefully read it is the story.
Hope everyone can enjoy, plus giving artist feedback on the Story of Mizuka.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Obsessive_Freak's artwork
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 09:26:02 AM »
welcome to MR again, you can generally post as many pages as you like of your work, especially if its a story we like to read it as well so we can critique the story telling aspect as well :P
i recently posted about 200 pages of my sketchbook if that helps as a comparison :P

speaking of stories, i do like the story in your manga so far, the way you introduced the world was quite cool. i dont normally offer too much advice until i get used to your style, but i noticed in the manga there are a lot of speech bubbles which have a lot of text in them. i found myself skipping over them out of habit. it might help if you split the larger bubbles into smaller ones, or fit them over several panels with different camera angles of the character talking etc. if you say something important that the reader needs to know, it might help if its in a separate bubble as well.

hope that helps a bit, if and when you post more i will try and help you as best as i can , as will the rest of MR :P cant wait to read the rest of the story :P
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:52:30 AM »
Thank you Suupertramp for the information and the feedback. It does help as I was concerned with the speech bubbles, I use a program called Manga studios that I need simply to do the speech bubbles for me. However it's not very helpful unless I get upgrade it and that costs quite a bit just so I can get some proper speech bubbles on the go. But fitting into more panels might be appropriate. I just get anxious with the layout and so on and don't plan ahead enough. But again thanks and I can also then put up the rest of what I've done thus far.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 01:06:26 PM »
i like how the story progresses.
your use of camera angles and facial expressions are quite varied and express the mood well. its nice to see the use of backgrounds and stuff, even if they are simple it shows us where they are and helps us follow the story better.
there are still improvements to be made on the technical side - proportions / faces / hands etc, but since you've just started drawing again thats to be expected :P
i think it would be nice to see a bit more detail in your drawings, the characters as well as the backgrounds. for an example, if its a wall, add a few lines to show individual bricks, or on the clothing, a few lines to show folds on clothes.
hope that helps you in the right direction, keep up the good work!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 01:21:29 PM »
Thanks I didn't realize the camera angles and facial expresses were good to be honest, so it' means a lot to hear that as well as to be complimented on background as I hate doing backgrounds, a lot, so it's good that the price is worth it.
And yeah, I've only started noticing that I'm having proportion issues and I don't really know how to fix it. I'm hoping it's just a matter of experience. The more I draw, the eventual I'll get the proportions rights naturally.
And also thanks for the extra detail idea, I didn't think to do that, so means a lot.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 02:15:31 PM »
Yeah, just realised I should've sent this to the 'Member manga' section if I'm correct.

Offline DBNext

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 03:18:49 PM »
It looks good and interesting.. i didn't read all of it, i'll be sure to check more of it later.
The battle scenes look cool, but you need to use different angles instead of just front shots

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 03:38:44 PM »
Waut  :blinkAdmin: ? The fight scenes look cool? By lord I struggled with those and didn't have as much fun doing them that I rushed through them? Though I should learn about these angles then. Have only some idea what people are talking about these angles.

Offline DBNext

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 03:48:42 PM »
Yeah they're okay
That red guy with gold hair needs some outfit though, and you need to practice anatomy so your characters don't look awkward when moving.
As for angles, it means different views. For example, person A punches B. If you draw it from the front, it looks boring and 2D-ish. The same scene from a different view can look 3 times as awesome if the angle is chosen correctly, and if the panneling suits it.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 03:55:03 PM »
Oh now there okay  :D . I get though. Haven't heard that in a while, practicing anatomy. But fair enough. Didn't know they were awkward moving. But thanks anyways, I'm grateful as it's sure to help.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
i agree with db
when i said the camera angles were good, i meant it was a strong point of your manga. its a lot more camera angles than i use for example :P
but as with most  things there is always something to improve on no matter how good you get :P

practising anatomy is something you will hear around here a lot, its definitely good to mix it in with whatever you normally do as practise.

@thy obsessive freak
will you be continuing the story? how long did it take you to draw all the pages so far?

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 04:38:40 PM »
I'll be continuing it for sure. It took me 4months to get this far (April I started), but only because the fight scene really dragged for me, that I was only doing 2 or 3 a week. But all of a sudden since I left the fight scene, I've been doing them twice a day, sometimes 3 a day. So this should get bumped quite frequently.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 04:44:23 PM »
awesome thats great
yeah if you post it in the right board then that would be great too
http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/board,86.0.html

this topic here should really be for random pictures that you draw, not really whole stories. you did notice that yourself i think but i am just confirming for you :P

Offline TiNoSa

• FanArtist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 09:10:29 PM »
I've just read the pages posted here and, first of all, contratulations for the hard work! I believe is very tiring and challeging to draw lots of manga pages. Though some members already gave you advice (about details, anatomy, proportions, etc), I think you did well! One of the most important things in a manga, for me, is the story. If the story's good, I don't care if the art is simple. And other strong points, as they've already said, are the backgrounds in most of the panels, a variety of angles during the conversations, for example, and I think your paneling and pacing make the story very easy to follow, which is good ^^

Well, that's it, consider the advice they already gave you (they're the same I'd give you), because there's always room to improve, but know that I liked your story, I think you're very creative and capable of keeping people looking forward to knowing what's going to happen next :thumbsup:

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 06:24:11 AM »
Thanks, that's really great to hear and it is appreciate to hear someone appreciate the work I've been through. I am glad to hear how I've done well about anatomy and proportions for a change (Don't worry Suupertramp and DN, I am still listening to your advice and going back to basics, like life drawings and step-by-step books, but great to hear I'm not doing that bad). But thanks, it's really great to hear from a reader like you TiNoSa and the story is meant to be what's carrying this thing right now. Again, really grateful to hear from you TiNoSa.