September 02, 2014, 08:03:12 PM
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here. We are having a massive SPAM problem so we can't do much about it.

Author Topic: What kind of paper is used to draw manga pannels?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline DBNext

• View Profile
What kind of paper is used to draw manga pannels?
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:05:03 AM »
So im just starting my manga, but the problem is that there are so many kinds of paper! There's the thick Canson papers, which i find to be the best, as ink doesnt smudge on them and they are durable, but they are so expensive! 10 papers are like 7 dollars, which is a lot on my small budget. But then there are normal printing papers, which cost so little ( i buy 100 papers for 2 dollars ), but they are not really thick, they tend to be smudgy, and can easily get torn. Are there any others u'd recommend? is there special kind for manga?

Offline suupertramp

• Arrays solve EVERYTHING!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of paper is used to draw manga pannels?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 06:25:26 AM »
also depending on how serious you are you can draw double (or more) size on A3 and shrink down for a higher quality anyway.

im afraid i dont use anything other than copier paper, im somewhat cheaply minded so i dont go out of my way to find good stuff, as you found out very high Q paper is very expensive. the paper i use is 500 sheets for £5 (i think), which is about 7-8 dollars. i have never noticed a ripping problem, but if you erase too much it might make a hole (but you seriously have to overdo it)
Manga|Other|Blackout
Sketch Survival Streak: 211!
Roshons Insanely Massive Project: 10/185

Offline FlossAndChaos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 02:32:59 PM »
I use Smooth Bristol Board when I draw manga, because I use nib pens to ink. I have found that the smoother the paper, the crisper the lines will turn out. However, if if I press too hard with pencil it will leave tiny marks on the page. I had to learn to draw lightly. I like using Bristol board more than any other kind of paper.  It is thick, smooth paper. I believe it is what most manga/comic artists use. Defiantly recommended for professional level work.
I drew this on 11x14in Bristol Board:

The down side to Bristol Board is the cost. It's a bit on the expensive side...
If you are just starting out, and want something cheaper, try using Card Stock paper. You should be able to find reams of plain white card stock next to standard copy paper. It is thicker than printing paper, and smooth enough that your lines won't feather.  I highly recommend this for beginning manga artists, becuase it's good quality, and it's cheaps! ^.^
I drew this on card stock:

I hope this helps! <3

Offline tuksoil

• even death, is governed by "time"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 10:10:20 PM »
i only use normal bond paper since i do mostly of the tonings via photoshop, well if you can afford a  "Doujin Paper" then that is the best paper out there to do manga/panels :D
>.< I can't stop myself from making manga >.<