August 03, 2020, 10:37:56 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: SKETCH SURVIVAL!!!!!!!!  (Read 187452 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: SKETCH SURVIVAL!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1530 on: February 14, 2020, 03:41:24 AM »
In the Spirit of Valentines Day

Day 38

Offline Suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: February 14, 2020, 04:11:14 PM »
awwww cute :)
Shoes are just bulky feet tbh. my shoes got better when I learnt to draw feet more properly.

Day 46: apparently I drew this. not sure what to think at all.

Everything art-wise is undergoing a supreme shift. Stay tuned.
I'm also wondering if 1000 is just too high for a normal regime.
100x 10 different regimes would be much more rounded out compared to a single 1000 regime, although they wouldn't be as effective of course. I wonder what the best number is. Does it depend on the particular regime? does it depend on my skill at that point? probably.

I think one of the reasons artists become stylized is that they simply cannot go down each path to completion. So what they learn is biased towards more specific things. i.e. drawing chibis instead of medieval armour.

I think I've definitely gotta find my style soon.

This month hasn't been so great but I think I'm finding my way again.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 04:53:34 PM by suuper-san »
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: February 15, 2020, 03:29:02 AM »
well between today and yesterday, I'm going through a strange mood. I'm going to optimistically assume it's a good thing.

Day 47: I literally don't want to do anything that I normally do. Might chase up some other art ideas I've been having or something.

The daily sketch has completely lost its meaning.

I tried to sort my projects and it's a serious pain, I not only have no idea what I want to do, I have no idea how I'm doing it either. Lots of wishful thinking and not much proper planning. At least I've been doing structured art stuff, but that's all it is, art stuff.
Still trying to get rid of my requests.
This feels like a mood I had a while back.

It probably doesn't help that I'm still trying to learn how to memorize a deck of cards. My brain is probably taking downtime to build up more connections :/
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 03:34:44 AM by suuper-san »
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: February 15, 2020, 08:00:45 AM »
Haha well memorizing a deck of cards sounds freaking awesome. Want to add learning Japanese to that mix?

I'm actually learning some guitar theory and it's helping me a heck of a lot. The fret isn't so alien to me anymore, but it's super embarrassing that I didn't 'just YouTube it' anymore.

Sketches make the world go round. I like how you describe the dress and hair with such simple clean lines.

I should have a feet regimen at a point. That'll be hilarious because I'll be most likely referencing my own hahahaha.

awwww cute :)
Day 46: apparently I drew this. not sure what to think at all.

Everything art-wise is undergoing a supreme shift. Stay tuned.
I'm also wondering if 1000 is just too high for a normal regime.
100x 10 different regimes would be much more rounded out compared to a single 1000 regime, although they wouldn't be as effective of course. I wonder what the best number is. Does it depend on the particular regime? does it depend on my skill at that point? probably.

I think one of the reasons artists become stylized is that they simply cannot go down each path to completion. So what they learn is biased towards more specific things. i.e. drawing chibis instead of medieval armour.

I think I've definitely gotta find my style soon.

This month hasn't been so great but I think I'm finding my way again.

Duuude you legit drew a kawaii warrior gal! It's such an awesome shift by the way in style overall. It's a bit like seeing a classical musician suddenly drop some fresh rap lines hahahaha. DOOOPE. Reminds me of those beatemup characters... Something like Skullgirls? This is top notch stuff suuper. Melike.

I mean regimes don't even need to be regimes. You can even switch them up to legitimate studies where you go to the next step after properly breaking down a form. I choose the number 1,000 because it's just the right amount of pain to go beyond the point where you're comforteable. 100 is good stuff too though! You can hit the finish line faster and if you ever reach 100 x 10 you can say you've done that many regimens. Win win.

Do what works for ye haha.

Oh gawd medieval armour. I still draw a basic visor knight with mannequin shoulders. Never actually studied how medieval armour works. That's one of those top level atelier studies I wish I could do at a point haha.

I've decided that I'll step out of Sketch Survival when I hit June 2020. I dunno how many days that'll be, but it seems like a nice thing to think of a future number.

After that I plan on making a workshop (or maybe a couple, because I've definitely failed this once or twice haha.)

That being said I can't believe I really hit the 1 month mark. Good feels.

Day 39

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: February 15, 2020, 03:24:05 PM »
I can now memorize half a deck in 10 minutes at the moment, and if I tried I might be able to manage a whole deck. Whats worse is I still remember both of the half decks I've memorized so far. It's slightly unnerving but cool. mnemonics are super powerful, because your memories start to interweave and support each other. like you start using chemical element names to remember numbers, that sort of thing.
All I do is simply make a vivid short story with the words that each card represents. It's actually incredibly good story inspiration, although it's always the same 52 words. I'm thinking that I'm suppressing any interesting ideas that pop into my head. some sort of subconscious issue with expressing myself fully. I always think before I speak, I'm that sort of person. So I won't entertain stupid ideas even though they are probably the best sort of interesting. Gotta figure something out. Might use random word generators.

And thanks. art shift is always hovering over me threatening to strike. I sort of like how it turned out but within 30 seconds I knew I was on a strange trip with that one. I was like, okay apparently I am this sort of artist today.
It reminded me of something else but I havent actually seen the anime it reminded me of. ahhh yes Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
One of these days I'm going to suddenly draw in your style haha

I think the 1000 is indeed a good number to proper stretch one's mind to the limit. But if you take 5 or 10 minutes for each one then that's the issue. So if it's 1000, they have to be quick, if its 100 you can take your time. Otherwise you're stuck with it for ages and it becomes uncomfortable in the wrong way.
I have some ideas that I'll be trialing in the idea of 10 100x regimes instead of 1 1000x.
I think my 1000 finished sketches worked well because I was actually producing something useful at the end of it. That's sort of the direction I'm going to try.
So many ideas, so little time.....

oh yeah and when referencing yourself don't forget to try and draw angles that aren't from your own viewpoint. Most of the time the illustrations we draw are looking at another person, not from that persons point of view, so a mirror is invaluable. Or a camera. Gotta take some more hand reference photos of myself.

Never actually studied how medieval armour works. That's one of those top level atelier studies I wish I could do at a point haha.
That's sort of the kind of problem I mean, we're so busy studying other stuff that it's impossible to study everything, even things we might want to study more. Just because they're not AS important as other studies.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 03:36:18 PM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: February 16, 2020, 01:58:29 PM »
Priorities is the name of the game.

Damn you're really going at that card memorization. Noiiice.

Day 40

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: February 16, 2020, 04:38:36 PM »
Day 48:

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: February 17, 2020, 01:04:54 AM »
Got an early start today. Feeling a lot better. Might have just been the gloomy weather making me go all philosophical

Day 49: I'm thinking this is my new daily sketch style. Even more sketchy. Much quicker. Not a final piece at all.

I realized I've got so many methods for idea generation that I could pump out literally new ideas forever. If I generated a huge number of sketches then there's a high chance some would be pretty good and worth finishing properly. I don't want to properly finish sketches that aren't worth doing now.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 01:06:26 AM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: February 17, 2020, 03:00:16 PM »
Always a good thing to know that the ideas will never run out hehe.

I definitely want to do more comics soon.

Day 41

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: February 18, 2020, 11:16:29 AM »
Yesterday was super productive, I drew for over 7 hours, which is the most I have drawn for almost an entire year. That's 7 hours of active drawing, I spent nearly the whole day actually doing it, but sorting out WIPs and all sort of other non-drawing tasks.

Day 50: 50 day checkpoint.
went through a chaotic week in terms of daily sketch style. I think I'm balancing back towards a sketchy piece, with colour, 100% in my comfort zone. It's purpose is a bit of a mystery, but it certainly generates a nice stream of WIPs, at the very least.
I'm using cel-shading and smudging. A good method for semi decent but quick shading.

Also Aggie collab was really fun. A bit unproductive in terms of my own personal projects, but overall a good session. drawings were done, WIPs made, all that jazz.

I'm back on track with all my projects again. I'm pushing up my writing WIPs (which you will never see here for a very long while), because I think I will reach the point of preparing for a manga and suddenly realize I can't write at all. Basically working with my personality and trying to get different characters personalities coming out in their speech and actions.

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: February 19, 2020, 12:58:44 AM »
Day 51: my schedule is getting together nicely now.
I still can't limit the quality or duration of my sketch XD

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: February 19, 2020, 02:55:59 AM »
Mini heart attack. I thought I didn't draw but of course I did... Just on aggie. So late post but definitely drew a lot. Heck I hit 70 stick figures on another canvas.

Love how clean these last two look suuper. And hahaha that's an awesome problem to have when it comes to quality. Congrats on day 50 checkpoint dude!

Day 42 and 43

Gonna start doing 1 point perspective backgrounds

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: February 20, 2020, 03:09:15 AM »
Yeah when you didn't post I was like...but you drew today? haha
all those sketches turned out pretty good. also thanks for letting me steal that cute girl idea.
nice buildings. simple but you got the perspective nicely done. cubes make everything. actually that's pretty unique perspective, it's like on a hill or something?
And 70 stick figures is pretty awesome. The most figures I drew in a single session was about 150 at sort of stickman level. I was trying to think of different poses for each one as well. probably took at least an hour. Oh at some point I'll mention my cheat-method for stick figures.

Day 52: I'm almost getting the hang of the quality, maybe :P
Because this is sort of a mix between an illlustration concept, and a finished coloured sketch, so the quality varies between both. Really it should be closer to concept as I'll probably finish most in my WIP processing (TM)
So I'm trying to not fix up the mistakes because that defeats the purpose of it becoming a WIP. and it takes twice as long :P
Colour makes everything better.

Material rendering needs some work, like the balloons and stuff. How to draw super shiny stuff vs. normal shiny stuff etc. Need to do more copying. Now that I think of it, I've never copied real life materials, like leather or fur etc, to figure out rendering. I've always copied manga, which is always simplified.
I kinda skipped over that point lol
So that's gotta be added to the list as well now :P

I'm basically back to how I was a week or two ago. I think my whole rambling about projects and stuff was a bit of depression fueled philosophy tbh. But I am trying to gear up into getting my projects done now. Working on writing and manga development, both in the testing phase for what workflow would be good and stuff. Really just writing down random sentences and small narration for my old sketches. Getting used to hearing my own voice, so to speak. Might join writers survival in a month or two.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 03:28:37 AM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: February 20, 2020, 03:53:37 AM »
Man that's really really working for you. I like how you even managed to make the linework more subtle. That's beautiful as heck. For some reason I thought of a webtoon of some sort. I forgot the title though haha.

And rambling helps a lot in getting your thoughts out and documenting things for sure.

Day 44

Yeah it'll be a while before I reap any benefits but I really want to place characters in actual places. Might as well chip away at backgrounds.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: February 21, 2020, 12:01:24 AM »
Day 45