August 07, 2020, 04:45:52 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Suuper's manga (+digital and 3D)  (Read 124150 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • We'll see.....
    • View Profile
Re: Suuper's manga (+digital and 3D)
« Reply #1530 on: July 31, 2020, 01:28:26 AM »
@Coryn will definitely keep you guys posted on the story. It'll probably be a couple of months before anything solid is made, we have a chapter 1 script, but I dont have a manga page quality set up yet - I need to make some test pages to know what's continuously achievable. Dont want to have too high a quality and then not be able to finish it :P

@NO1SEY yeah I'm constantly reviewing where I can speed up work and reduce quality, but yes as you say you need to control the speed for the quality/complexity of your artwork and specific details. It's a huge work in progress :P

@MK thanks! I find copying things helps to get used to drawing them, and then you find you start to sketch them more naturally. It takes time :P

End of month report

As always, there's a lot I want tot talk about but I dont want to ramble endlessly, so I'll try and be brief.
This month proved to be an expensive test of what's achievable for me. I wasn't able to get as high production as I had hoped, but still averaged about 4 hours a day.

I produced a large amount of original sketches, more than I would normally produce, but overall, my output dropped.
I put this down to several reasons:
-Copying is easier than sketching original stuff - so it's easier to spend longer doing it. I did less copying this month and so my stamina took a hit trying to keep drawing from my head.
-It's been like 6 months of lockdown now and basically, my sense of urgency in art is starting to wane. I just can't keep it up anymore. That being said, the moment I noticed this and the previous point, I managed to boost my output again, so I think it's just trying to constantly evaluate my progress that's important to keep me going.

So I will be doing more copying again, it dropped to nearly 0 this month but I think my inspiration ran dry as I wasn't putting ideas back into my head, or learning how to draw things better at all by copying, so it gradually got harder and harder to draw.

I have decided that at least for a couple of months, I'm going to take a gamble in my art and work a lot more at the concept and sketch phase. I've always done that anyway, but this time really taking a look at how to improve my initial ideas and the early development phases so that my WIPs are all much higher quality. Instead of generating 100 sketches, and 20 are good, I want to generate 50 sketches, and 30 are good. I'm working towards consistency of quality now, and basically a higher efficiency, so that my time is better spent. I like having a high output but not at the cost of producing 80% bad/generic ideas.

I'm pretty sure that, like previously, my higher quality end will just magically improve without effort because everything is linked together.

Here is my full page of text prompted sketches that I did recently.

I have about 10 different sketch pages like this one, but each has a different type of prompt or style that I'm working with. I'm hoping to see  which ones produce the better ideas more consistently and then work on just these pages in the future.

This is my favourite sketch page but it produces the most generic ideas unfortunately. (Because it's a comfort zone sketch page)

Having a text prompt on the image itself (I remove it when I save the image so it's not there now) really helps for using it as a prompt and creating a more unique piece that's more creative than just a character standing there. So I'm glad I got that working out for me. I also have 2 new concept ideas that I had hoped to finish and show, but they're still half way through because of my laziness, so hopefully next time I can show them off.

For 2 weeks I worked with a daily schedule for different areas of art - it worked quite well but I think it was quite draining overall. I'm going back to my messy do-whatever approach because that seems to work just as well really.

I think doing so much daily drawing has lead to each depressive episode and hyper excited episode being much closer together because my schedule is basically compacting several months of work into one, each month. So I'm hoping it's just me learning at a faster rate. But I can't help feeling that I'm not where I should be. But I'm basically enjoying it so alls well I guess :P

I have noticed more recently a lot more tiredness from drawing - I think that's related to tiredness overall and just being fed up of being in lockdown so much. I'm still not working so I dont really have a schedule. I get out the house occasionally, go for walks, exercise indoors and so on, but it's not great where every day is the same. I would rather have alternate days of work and days of art than just days of art at the moment - I think it would help me to stay focused better and actually be more productive.

I'm trying to learn from other artists and from photo reference to improve my range of ideas and quality of sketching, but it's taking it's time.

I'm hoping August will be better but considering how good I felt about July and how that went, I can't say I'm confident anything amazing will happen. I need to pick up the pace and sense of urgency about it otherwise nothing great will happen. I think I need to be super productive to get that next level ability now.
I suppose the main problem is just self-regulation - I get distracted easily and can't focus too well sometimes, especially when it's a brain intensive task like creating new sketches. So I'm trying to learn to focus harder and for longer periods of time (not like hours, drawing for more than 15 minutes without getting distracted haha)

See you all later.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 02:50:40 AM by Suuper-san »
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: July 31, 2020, 08:07:47 PM »
Improvement at art can be tough and slow, but sometimes I wonder if you're trying too hard to do everything by yourself.

Are you really learning much from the sketches you're doing? With these drawings you've been allowing yourself to draw at a level lower than what you're capable of. Because in the end you're treating each drawing as a rep to get through rather than something that deserves a serious effort from your problem solving ability. And it's through solving problems better than you did yesterday that you will get better at art.

You're very concerned with how you structure your practice but I wonder if you are not being as thoughtful as you should be when it comes to what things look like, what is their 3-dimensional structure, and how you should go about drawing them.

You also want to eventually do comics yet you are using GIMP and not Clip Studio Paint. You already know that I disagree with this but I feel I must remind you. You are throwing away literally free art gains. The pen engine, comic features, community store materials, and features in Clip Studio Paint are a serious improvement over GIMP. It will take you hundreds of hours to implement these features in GIMP. As a professional you need to take all the free art gains and improvements to efficiency that you can get, and not waste your time building something somebody else already made.

You've got a good head, but you've been wasting your mental energy on things that aren't really immediate priorities, and have been avoiding things that would immediately improve your art. Becoming a pro is hard. Don't make it harder than it already is.

Offline Suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: August 01, 2020, 04:20:42 AM »
thanks for the comment Ryan! always good to get some criticism on my crazy ideas.

With these drawings you've been allowing yourself to draw at a level lower than what you're capable of. Because in the end you're treating each drawing as a rep to get through rather than something that deserves a serious effort from your problem solving ability.
Yeah. I get you on that. I have no excuse :/
My general aim with the low level sketches is to create fundamentally better concepts, inaccurate as they are, but to break away from the "standing girl doing nothing" character, without the stress of trying to work with proportions/3dness at the same time (the higher my focus on form, the more generic my concepts become). All these sketches as you know will get processed at a higher level when I resolve them, at which point there will be more problem solving and working properly with forms.
As for the "reps", I'm also trying to build up my stamina for working with my WIPs, as even my manga page processing will feel very similar to what I do normally I want to make sure that I can trudge through it on even my worst feeling days.

I wonder if you are not being as thoughtful as you should be when it comes to what things look like, what is their 3-dimensional structure, and how you should go about drawing them.
At the moment, that's totally what it looks like, and that's part of the gamble I'm making, long term. But these sketches will get resolved and so I'll hit that form issue later on.

not waste your time building something somebody else already made.
I have a love hate relationship with this phrase. As a one-man-army style person I don't like to rely too heavily on other peoples stuff, but I also recognise that it is absolutely necessary. I mean, I'm using an art program that someone else programmed, with brushes that someone else made. It's the same as buying your own paintbrushes instead of making them yourself.
But some things I don't agree with, such as assets. It's just fundamentally disagrees with my own ambition as an artist. My semi goal is to create a set of my own assets, like textures and stuff, which I can use.
Using assets feels like I'm collaborating with other people to get my art done, and I'd like to avoid that at all costs, it's a pride thing again. Like putting trees in the background of a scene, or a computer on a desk. It might be a generic object that no-one looks at, but if I lacked the skill to create it from scratch, then that's my lack of ability as an artist that's the problem. That's how I see it.

Partly the problem is that I want to be a good artist above becoming a professional artist. If I were only aiming at professional, I would be doing commissions already and making money off them, and using every tool in my disposal to make my life easier. But I primarily want to be an excellent artist, who can create the things they need themselves. So a self-sufficient artist I suppose you might call that, maybe.

I'm the kind of person that would want to learn how to make their own paintbrushes and ink if I were doing it traditionally, so it's not even a digital issue, I just very much like working from scratch as much as possible. I am definitely aware that it makes it harder, and I may possibly regret it at some point, but it's the path I've chosen.

It will take you hundreds of hours to implement these features in GIMP
I will definitely take a look at Clip Studio Paint, but until I'm actually on the edge of producing manga regularly, I don't think I will actually benefit from many of those features you described. I'm still just figuring out how to draw stuff normally.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: August 05, 2020, 03:08:22 AM »
No software under the sun will make your art better at its core. Yes, using a brush on a canvas is much better than using a stick to draw in the sand but the things that one has learnt in their art journey will never dissapear just because they're using a different software, and GIMP is honestly powerful enough to get the job done, especially if you're good at figuring out your own shortcut keys and creating your own assets and the like.

I liked the energy of the first batch of sketches but admittedly the comfort-zone sketches are more controlled. (Did you really do them in 2 freaking minutes!? Dude!)

Never underestimate the comfort zone sketches though. It's that 1,000 kick principle where the more automatic you make your favourite, simplest actions the better it is. The ideal is when you do enough comfort-zone sketches you're so good at them you can sketch them in your sleep. That removes a mental load and allows you more energy to work on other things.

Copying was a life-saver for me, and I can literally feel my reserves are depleted at the moment. I almost have to copy/trace/reference now because it's just not fun. There's a point where you have to just really admit your stamina is low and you gotta ease your progress down.

Also you really upped your personality and kawaii game. I'm almost used to it now but with a few jump backs down your page it's a real tangible improvement.  So yes trust that magical 'I got better!' moment. I've experienced it before in language learning and playing the guitar and I don't think I would've ever gotten to that nice feeling if I was feverishly stressing about reaching the goal. It's a weird thing, but my idea is that a distant town is much easier to reach if you're looking at your surroundings as you make a steady walk towards it.

If you're always thinking 'It's X Kilometers away! Okay I've got to shift my weight now and jog at so-and-so speed. Oh man when will I reach that town' you're going to burn out 100%

So keep at what you're doing and hope you have a better month.

Already said enough but this general pandemic mood is the perfect crucible for this sort of drawing training thing. It's an opportunity to see what you can do when the mental climate isn't so good as it'd normally be, figure out what works out for you (and you alone, not anybody else) stamina wise, be aware and honest to yourself on that and go for it.

Best of luck and till next time!

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: August 05, 2020, 01:35:39 PM »
You should try making thumbnails for the same idea, it's a great way to practice composition

Example
Spoiler