March 29, 2024, 01:50:48 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Project OCTAVIAN - A Short Stories Anthology [HIATUS]  (Read 9315 times)

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
Re: Project OCTAVIAN - A Short Stories Anthology
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2022, 02:59:05 AM »
Zap! (Part 7)
Rose suddenly perked up from her grumbling.

“Oh, that’s right! My cute little darling… if it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t know what I’d do with myself. Let me tell you, I wouldn’t have thought for the life of me that I’d be owning a cat, or any kind of animal whatsoever. But lil’ Whimsels…” She shook her head, a bright smile across her face. “He was a stray that happened on my doorstep the day I was fired. The whole town had gone mad, but he was there to cheer me up through it all. All my life I thought plants would be the only thing I’d need, but Whimsels showed me the world.”

Rosemary sat there in bliss and euphoria as she reminisced, her eyes lost in space.

“I’m guessing this was the date the Spark happened,” said Mira.

“The Third of the Third. I wouldn’t forget it even if I was dead.”

“Two years then,” Jack quipped. “The report said you lost Whimsels yesterday. Anything strange you noticed about him the days leading up to his disappearance?”

“I wouldn’t say he was strange… more like… eccentric!” Rose replied.

Mira raised a slight brow. “Eccentric? A cat?”

“Oh, you could tell right away he wasn’t any ordinary cat. He’s a smart one. Always figuring out how to sneak away to who-knows-where, and still find his way back home. Sometimes he’ll take with him little trinkets and knick-knacks and put them in his sleeping basket.”

“You mean the cat’s been stealing?” Mira said, shocked by Rose’s words.

“You know how animals are… they can’t help themselves!”

“Do you have the basket and these trinkets?” Jack asked.

“I do indeed. They’re on top of that cabinet just behind you.”

Jack turned around to see a rather large-sized wicker basket with bedding jutting out from its sides. He stood up from the chair and, tiptoeing from his shoes, slid the basket out from the top of the cabinet, before catching the remarkably heavy basket before it fell to the floor.

“By Joves! This basket is heavy!” Jack cried out.

“What exactly are those?” Mira asked, peeking into the basket. Jack took one of the trinkets out, a gold pocket watch… out of many pocket watches. Why were there so many? He opened the watch to find a picture of a man and a woman inside. Perhaps one of the neighbors. Jack then opened another pocket watch, this time showing a family of four.

“Do you mind if we keep these?” Jack asked.

“Good heavens, no! They’re Whimsels. And he’ll definitely want them all there when he gets back, if he does.”

“These are likely stolen from your neighbors, Rose. I think it’s best we take them for now. Before we end up filing a report of theft for the missing watches.”

“Is that a threat?” Rose asked.

Mira quickly rushed to Rose’s side. “No, not at all! Jack just likes… being upfront about things. Why don’t you let my partner take care of the watches, and we can talk more about Whimsels, okay?”

Rosemary eyed Jack up and down his figure before settling back down at the table.

“Fine. But you best give them back before you leave.”

Jack nodded. “Of course. You’ll have them back in no time.”

With the old lady back to sipping her tea, Mira continued her line of questions. “So, what does Whimsels’s routine look like?”
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 01:30:45 AM by Operative13 »
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2022, 02:58:49 AM »
Zap! (Part 8)
Soon after, Jack and Mira returned to the Constabulary with a sizable number of notes more than the single-page file they left with. The front entrance was now all but vacant of the large crowd that had gathered that morning, with only a handful of custodial workers sweeping away the confetti and polishing the marble tiles still covered in black soot.

“Looks like the party’s ended,” said Mira as she flung the passenger door open.

“No one wants to stick around in a place filled with soot, that’s for sure,” Jack replied as he shut the driver’s door and approached the car’s trunk. “Did you get all the answers you need from Rose?”

Mira took a look at the notes. “Whatever I could get from her. It’s strange though… She knows Whimsels has a knack for wandering around the neighborhood for who-knows-how long, but immediately files a report when he went missing yesterday. I asked her what made her call then, and it was because he wasn’t in his usual spot that morning. Don’t you find it weird for a cat to follow a routine?”

“I’ve never had a cat, so I wouldn’t know. But if I were to guess, Whimsels loves following routines. That’s probably why she called.”

“Collecting watches. And watches with pictures at that. I’m pretty sure no pet ever does that. What exactly is it doing with all those trinkets?”

“Looking for something, or someone, maybe. Or it could be a habit. I wouldn’t know which is which. It’s a cat, after all. It might be doing it for fun.”

Mira rolled her eyes. “A cat stealing watches for fun? It’s not one of those birds that steals whatever shiny object there is from people.”

“We don’t know that until we start talking with the neighbors. We’ll start by looking through the watches and identifying the people in them. Maybe they can tell us more about this ‘cat burglar’ we have here.”

Jack popped open the trunk, revealing a large mechanism with lenses, bulbs, and rolls of paper. Flipping a lid open, he took out a large paper roll filled with tiny puncture holes before closing it back and handing it to Mira.

“Get this to the Optics Department when you pass by.”

Mira gawked at the size of the roll. “Jimmies, Jack, how many takes did you make?”

“52. The cat’s been busy.”

“Great, another day of busy work… you’re gonna help me transcribe all this, right?”

Jack didn’t say a word. Instead, he began walking up and into the Constabulary, to which Mira followed right beside him.

“You can’t seriously leave me to do all this work myself! This is gonna take me ages to get through!”

“Sorry Mira, but I have other important business to go through.”

“The Gooluks again? You heard what the Chief said. Quinn and Chase already have that covered.”

“I still need to stay up to date, and besides, they’ll need my input on what they find. If you need anything from me, I’ll be in the Organized Crime Department.”

“But…!”

Before Mira could utter another word, Jack disappeared among the sea of officers wading back-and-forth among the halls of the Constabulary, leaving her with Whimsels’s file and the roll of paper from the optics machine.

“Sure… I'll just write this all up myself. Again…”

Just as she turned around, Quinn and Chase came pacing down the hallway.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 03:10:03 AM by Operative13 »

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2022, 02:57:35 AM »
Eris, Corporal of the Gallian Defense Force

Eris, a dreamer with a penchant for action

An old friend of Adelais, Eris always had a mind for action. She struggled in academics during her school years, but Eris excelled in sports and blew past her history and literature classes. This wasn't enough to graduate, however, and it was then that she met Adelais as her mentor and tutor. The two quickly bonded over their shared interests in changing the world, and explored several ideas on how they could better themselves and the community. However, their friendship would diminish after graduation, as they had to choose their new paths in life. Adelais chose to pursue a career as a Curator within the Great Library of Atlas, teaching would-be knowledge seekers the secrets stored within the Library's shelves. Eris, on the other hand, chose to enlist as part of the Gallian Defense Force, helping those in need and serving her community with her own two hands. Eris stops by at the Library of Atlas at times to read up on the latest news, though she seldom speaks to Adelais since their split from school. Perhaps an idealistic mind like hers would be a valuable supporter for Octavia's new initiative at the Library...

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2022, 02:58:30 AM »
Zap! (Part 9)
The hard clatter of Quinn’s marching heels on the polished marble flooring rang out among the spacious hallway. Like a ship cutting through ocean waves, the constables were quick to part ways for her and her attentive Custodian following close behind.

As the two approached, Mira locked eyes with Ms. Quinn, then to Chase, who averted his eyes. Quinn, with her fancy purse swinging behind her, raised a brow and suddenly stopped at the young girl carrying the large rolls in her arms.

“My, my, Mira! What are you doing here all by yourself?” Quinn asked her.

“Jack and I just got back from Cliffside, interviewing the woman with the lost cat. All of this…” she said, lifting the rolls of paper in her possession. “...are pictures of pocket watches.”

“Watches? Is she a thief?”

“No Ma’am. It’s the cat.” She paused. “At least we think it is.”

“What makes you think it’s the cat?” Chase chimed in. “The lady could just be using it as an excuse to steal from people.”

“They all have photos of families inside them. I don’t think an old lady like Rose would have a reason to steal watches with just those photos.”

Quinn looked around. “Where is Jack? Did he run off to hide somewhere again and leave you to do the paperwork?”

“Speaking of Jack, he’s actually waiting for you at Organized Crime. Wants to get an update on the Gooluks.”

Quinn scoffed. “Well he can sit outside my office all he likes. I’ll just run off to Cafe Lapis until he gets bored and finds something else to waste his time on.” She then turned to Chase.

“What about the case?” Chase asked.

“You’ll take care of all that, won’t you Dear?” she said in a charming voice.

Chase blushed and nodded. “Y-Yes Ma’am,” he diligently said.

Mira, however, irked at Quinn’s flirtations. It annoyed her to no end that Quinn always found ways to flaunt her natural beauty, even to stave off work just as much as Jack did.

“And while you’re at it, perhaps you can help poor Mira take care of her rolls at the Optics Department. I’m sure you two can divy the work together, won’t you?”

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2022, 02:58:49 AM »
Zap! (Part 10)
Mira knocked on the door to the Optics Department, a prominent sign hanging on the front printed in bold red: “CLOSED”.

“Did he switch the sign again?” Chase asked.

Mira grumbled. “That weasel always does this. The sign is not meant to be your free nap time!”

This time Mira banged on the door, shaking its frame from its hinges.

“Open up, Lenny!” she yelled.

No answer. Chase and Mira exchanged annoyed glances.

“I’m counting to three! If you don’t open up, I’m bashing this door down! One! Two…!”

The lock clicked open. As the door swung loose, an unshaven man in glasses with unkempt hair and a white long coat stood over the two adolescents.

“I’m busy. What do you want?” Lenny said nonchalantly.

“You know this is in the middle of working hours, don’t you? The sign is always supposed to say ‘Open’. As in, you don’t lock the door and keep us from doing our work!”

Mira shoved the large paper rolls onto Lenny as she pushed her way inside.

“Devils basket, what’s all this?” Lenny asked, staring at the enormous amounts of rolls in his arms.

“Photos taken from a cat lady. There’s fifty-odd copies of them there.”

“The missing cat case? Oh no. No no no no,” Lenny dropped the rolls onto his desk, where more stacks sat nearby. “I’ve got more important things to copy over than some pictures of a cat. You’ll get your copies when I clear out the backlog.”

“How long will that take?” Chase asked, looking at the various developed photos hanging from strings strewn across the room.

“Two weeks. Take it or leave it,” said Lenny.

“Two weeks!? I’m not waiting two weeks for photos!” Mira screamed.

“And that’s counting all the overtime I’d have to do just for these rolls. I’ve got more time-sensitive stuff that needs to be handled. Your cat’s going to have to wait.”

“What? Like the Gooluks?”

“Exactly. Like the Gooluks. Now if you excuse me, I need my nap time before I crash and burn, along with all the photos that need to be finished here. Now run along and let me do my thing.”

“But…!”

Before Mira could object, Lenny had pushed the two out of his office and locked the door once more.

“Damn it!” Mira cursed, making her way down the hall back to the Custodians Department. “How am I going to get those photos now?”

“To be honest, I kind of pity Lenny,” Chase said. “New state-of-the-art technology and he ends up working overtime to make sure it comes out right. He’s asked for more assistants to put these photos out on time, but the Chief keeps pushing him off. Not a priority in the budget, she says.”

“Well maybe if he isn’t taking naps all day, maybe we can actually get those photos. What happened to good-ol’ fashioned snapping photos?”

“Remember what happened two years ago? We lost almost all the originals. Now we make sure to get copies. In triplicate.”

“He can triplicate my foot in his rear if I have to wait two weeks…”

Chase looked away for a brief moment, a thought swirling in his eyes. “Maybe I can find a way to expedite your request, Mira.”

Mira blinked. “You can?”

“Not sure, but I can try to pull some strings. Ms. Quinn’s very well connected. I could perhaps give a few knocks to some people I know, and they might get Lenny to work on your case.”

“Oh please do! You have no idea how much trouble this would save me.”

“Don’t you worry. I got it handled.”

Chase then started darting off in the opposite direction. Just as he did, Mira came to a sudden realization.

“Hey wait! Aren’t you going to help me with the paperwork!?”

“It’s not that hard!” Chase yelled back. “I’ll be back soon!”
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 03:13:28 AM by Operative13 »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2022, 03:25:06 PM »
I will definitely get around to reading this at some point, along with your other stuff as well!!!
but in the meantime, keep it up :D
and also awesome art you've got there :D
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2022, 10:01:56 AM »
Different update this time around. It's been a long dream of mine to one day create a manga series of my own, and while I have plenty of other stories running through their paces, that hasn't stopped me from cranking out new ideas to share with you all. If you'd like to see more of these kinds of works, let me know your thoughts in the replies below! Every feedback helps guide Project Octavian's direction, and the more I get, the more I know exactly what needs to be put out!

Without further ado, I give you Curations of a Bibliothec! Enjoy!

Curations of a Bibliothec - Pilot

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2022, 03:17:08 PM »
Very nice first page, both setting the scene, introducing the character, as well as their personality.
I'm reminded automatically of Magus of the Library given the story title and obvious book connection.
Do you want feedback on the art as well?

I would suggest keeping your stories separate, even if they are part of the same project, as it might make it harder to read through all the different stories if they are posted all in the same thread, just a thought. You can always keep a separate contents/project thread to keep a track of the different stories.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2022, 02:58:37 AM »
Zap! (Part 11)
“Back” didn’t come. By then, the sun had begun sinking back under the horizon, and Mira was all but ready to return to her quarters. However, she had one last stop at the Documents Department to file the new paperwork.

Mira walked up to the counter, where a large woman with dark skin and curly hair tucked under her officer’s cap sat drinking a mug of warm liquid.

“Hi Leona,” Mira greeted. “How’s your day so far?”

The woman sprung up upon seeing Mira’s face. “Ah, Mira! It’s so good to see you! I heard there’s been a commotion going down in the Ravines. That wouldn’t have been your doing, was it?”

“Was it that bad?” Mira asked.

“Bad? Oh no, dear…”

Mira sighed a relief.

“It was terrible! The mayor came to stop by during lunch to pay our good Chief a visit. And the paperwork!” Leona clicked her tongue. “Don’t even get me started at how big the file is.”

Mira groaned. “That’s the last thing I wanted to hear…”

Leona then poured an extra mug of steaming black liquid from her pot and offered it to Mira.

“Here. Something to cheer your spirits.”

Mira settled the case files down on the counter and took the mug in hand. “Don’t you have any sweetener around? You know I don’t like it raw.”

“Drink, Honey. It’ll give you something else to think about.”

Mira stared at the cup, and with a reluctant gulp, chugged the black liquid down before smacking it down.

“Blegh! That’s the last time I’m ever drinking that straight!” Mira spat.

“You’re meant to savor the taste, not down it all in one.”

“No way! It’s bitter!”

Leona leaned back and laughed. “When you get older, you’ll wish you had more of the stuff.” She then took a look at the files piled nearby. “Are these all of them?”

“All for the Whimsels case.”

“That missing cat? You sure do a thorough job… haven’t quite made up my mind if that’s a good or bad thing.”

“I’m not making too much work, am I?”

“Not at all, Dear. It’s all the same no matter how big or small. It just means you’re spending more time writing up a report here than you do going out there and working the joints. Of course, being in the action has a risk all of its own.”

“I’d rather not be stuck behind a desk all day. I don’t know how you ever get through being bored all the time, just sitting here collecting documents.”

“When you get to my age, you might find a slow and quiet life is better. Especially when you have more responsibilities than just yourself.”

“Is that why Jack has been avoiding every kind of work possible? He’s getting old and wants a slower life?”

“Definitely not!” Leona raised her voice. ”He’s a slacker and someone should set him straight! He knows better than to make a kid like you do all the heavy lifting.”

Mira giggled. “Right? I say that all the time!”

“Well, I’ll get these files sorted out for you.” Leona then stood up and turned to shuffle through a drawer before pulling another file out. “And before I forget, Chase stopped by and asked me to hand you this when you stop by.”

“Chase?” Mira took the files off Leona’s hand and opened them. The photocopies of the stopwatches. “He got all this today!? I didn’t think he’d get them so quickly!”

“The poor boy was puckered out by the time he got up to the counter. Went straight to the Custodians Department after that. Looked as if he’s been through the Depths and back.”

“Thank you so much, Leona! I really needed this.”

“Don’t thank me, thank Chase when you see him.”

Mira nodded, and without haste darted off back to the Custodians Department. The lights began to shut off, and the hallways dimmed. Night had arrived.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 03:13:07 AM by Operative13 »

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2022, 04:33:14 AM »
Very nice first page, both setting the scene, introducing the character, as well as their personality.
I'm reminded automatically of Magus of the Library given the story title and obvious book connection.
Do you want feedback on the art as well?

I would suggest keeping your stories separate, even if they are part of the same project, as it might make it harder to read through all the different stories if they are posted all in the same thread, just a thought. You can always keep a separate contents/project thread to keep a track of the different stories.

Any feedback whatsoever is welcomed! It's great to see comments of any sort. As for keeping the stories separate, I fathomed about that, and opted to keep everything in a single thread until a story is completed or otherwise. It can be hard to keep track of all the threads at once, especially if a story becomes sidelined for another. When the time comes, I'll port everything over to its own unique thread so that everyone can enjoy it in its fullest, but until then, we'll use this thread as the single source for everything Project Octavian.  ;)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2022, 02:22:12 PM »
ah makes sense as long as you have an organized plan one way or the other :P

with regard to the art, the first BG was quite impressive feeling, but it felt a little empty with no other figures, even just super simple ones around the place. such as all the chairs are neatly lined up, things like that make the background feel a little artificial. Also for some reason, the character felt out of place in the middle, like she was drawn with a different pen setting, or shrunk down or something, she had too much detail for the size she took up. just an odd observation.
for the last panel, despite the chatty girl being somewhat petite, I cant imagine how she can lean on the table without her back or lower half leaning out more, unless she is massively short.
the books shot is fantastic and has a great amount of good details.
the first panel could have done with a few darker gradient shading at the edges otherwise overall it felt a little flat.
and another minor point, the speech bubbles are very wide, making it a little hard to jump to the next line of dialogue. You can still keep them wider than taller, but perhaps make them a bit more rounder and it will be easier to read.
otherwise shading on the objects and characters is good and adds good depth. also great use of the screentone dots which gives it a proper manga feel, although beware when being viewed at different zooms you will get an unwanted moire effect.
hope I'm not too severe in my comments but I feel like you'd want a serious review as you're aiming big with your projects, looking forward to reading more.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 02:24:09 PM by Suuper-san »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2022, 04:59:21 AM »
I read the first story excerpt , was pretty interesting although pretty standard stuff. It felt a little too narrative-y for me, with a lot of thing being stated matter of fact (he was an experimental human etc) although the mix of emotions how he felt was nice. Ultimately it was a little too short to form any more of an opinion than that. But would be interesting to see more.
(I'll get through the other stuff and give feedback where I can)

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2022, 02:58:44 AM »
Zap! (Part 12)
After a long tiring day, a good soak in the baths was what kept Mira’s spirits up. It had been ages since she’s been exhausted without physically exerting herself. The mental stress of filling out all the lines and checking boxes, triplicating her reports, having them proofread then stamped page-by-page… not since that day two years ago did Mira undergo her training as a Custodian had she sat at a desk for hours listening to the clatter of typewriters knocking away at paper.

Tucking away her clothes in the weaved baskets upon the shelves, Mira slipped into the large public baths, finding it unusually empty. Even at times like these, she could always count on a Custodian or two dousing themselves in the warm, bubbling waters. Around the clock, the Custodians always stood vigilant. A junior Custodian such as herself could be called upon at any moment in dire situations, but that rarely happens, if at all; senior Custodians always claimed priority for the most extreme cases.

Still, Mira always comforted herself on the stories and experiences of her seniors, and on the hopes that one day, she could be as strong and mighty as they were. And they offered someone other than Jack to talk to at the end of the day. She adored Jack, yes, but at times, his lackadaisical attitude paired with a cool and calculated persona infuriated her to no end. Yet still, she can only be thankful to be under his tutelage. After all, it was Jack that saved her from becoming a Spark.

She sunk herself deep into the flowing waters, weaving across every inch of her skin. The gentle warmth wrapped around her body, and Mira closed her eyes, listening to the calm burring of the bubbles surrounding the room. It was a good feeling, this peace. No thoughts, no worries, just her and a soothing bath.

But her mind was not at all at ease. No matter how much she tried to clear her thoughts, Mira’s mind wandered. Wandering into the depths of her memories. Locked away in the darkest recesses of her mind, memories she had sworn never to revisit again.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 03:05:40 AM by Operative13 »

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2022, 02:58:32 AM »
Zap! (Part 13)
She remembered her mother’s face. Her warm smiles and gentle touch. The scrumptious snacks she would bake, the fluffy biscuits and rich cream chowder she would serve on a cool evening. Her mother sacrificed much to give her a good upbringing, even as Mira’s father labored well into the freezing night at the slag pits, even as she gave up her dreams to live by the ocean and sail the seas beyond the blackened and rustic cliff faces of Steelbarrow.
When she was a child, her mother would read her stories at night about fantastic creatures and kingdoms from faraway lands. Of princes and knights, and heroes and dragons. A world of extraordinary people and extraordinary places. Mira would dream of these great wondrous things, and believed she too would become as magical as they were.

However, as Mira grew older, her knack for landing into trouble grew as well. Ever hungry for the thrill of adventure, Mira soon found herself at odds with her mother. Always running off into dangerous places, always getting into fights, and always causing grief and pain for her old folks. It had gotten to the point where she was banned from the academy from a particularly brutal fight she instigated on campus, and her mother had to homeschool her from then on.

But things changed on that fateful day two years ago. That day, Mira decided to bake a cake for her mother’s birthday, a task she’s never done before. She had worked all night long during her parents’ slumber quietly working in the kitchen downstairs, careful not to make a ruckus, only for her father to walk in. To Mira’s surprise, he decided to help with the cake, so that they could both surprise her in the morning. But the cake never finished.

On that day, her mother rose earlier than expected, and while her father was busy placing the final touches on the cake, Mira went out into the hallway to stall her mother, only to be greeted by a shining blue glow through the doorway. Mira’s eyes turned bright gold, and the moment her fingers reached out to her mother, a great explosion tore through the house.

She could only remember her mother’s look of horror as everything went dark, and the voice of her father calling out to them amid the rubble. When Mira finally came to, she had been handcuffed to the bedside, surrounded by constables within a brass cage. It was there that she first met Jack, who they introduced was to be her Handler from then on. It was Jack that rescued her from the rubble, and the one that watched over her all that time.

Having the memories play back in her mind sent shivers down Mira’s spine.

“I hate myself… why can’t I think of something nice for once?” she cursed under her breath. “I need someone to bother. I bet Jack is off on some secret mission for the Gooluks…”

It then struck her.

“Is that why there’s no one around?”
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 03:14:19 AM by Operative13 »

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2022, 02:59:09 AM »
Zap! (Part 14)
The hallways to the Custodians quarters were eerily quiet. Footsteps would be heard echoing across the concrete walls, locks would click shut from time-to-time, and the faint sound of chit chat could be heard behind closed doors. But tonight, only the buzz of the lightbulbs above filled the air.

Reaching her door, Mira went to fetch her key from her pocket, but stopped short of putting it into the keyhole. She turned and looked at one end of the hallway, then the other. The atmosphere felt lifeless. She went and knocked on her neighbors’ doors.

“Hello?” she called out, but no answer.

Mira went to knock on a few others, only to find the same response. Just as she went for another door, one of the doors opened from the other end of the hallway.

“Can you keep it down?” a girl in a nightgown called out. “Some of us are trying to sleep.”

Mira waved. “S-sorry!” The girl grumbled and began to close her door, but before she could, Mira suddenly ran up to her door and held it open.

“Rebecca, do you know where everyone’s gone?” she asked.

Rebecca looked at Mira with a sordid gaze. “How would I know? It’s none of my business.”

“It’s just that it’s emptier than usual. I haven’t seen the others all night.”

“Maybe they’re on call for something. I don’t know. Just don’t bother me about it.”

“R-right… good night.”

As Rebecca shut her door, Mira wondered about what she said. It was definitely strange she had not seen her usual friends and colleagues around. Even more so that she hadn’t heard anything about it all day. Perhaps Chase would know something about that.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 03:03:42 AM by Operative13 »