July 08, 2020, 05:51:33 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Story Writing YouTube Lecture Series  (Read 150 times)

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
    • View Profile
Story Writing YouTube Lecture Series
« on: June 06, 2020, 08:04:15 PM »
Hey all!

So there are lots of resources that I have tried to make use of over the years when it comes to trying to improve at writing, and considering that I watch probably too much YouTube I am glad that I was able to direct some of that hobby towards learning and productivity when it comes to writing.

One of the Most interesting resources I came across is a Lectures Series that Author Brandon Sanderson gives at BYU. While the series is more geared towards novel writing than comic writing, I think that there is still a lot of invaluable information in there that can be applied with a little creativity; as he covers world building, characterisation and dialogue, and magic systems just to name a few things.

Brandon Sanderson is the Author of the widely lorded Mistborn series, which is a masterclass in ‘hard’ magic systems, plot pacing, and strong female lead characters (which I personally think is an area where manga seriously falls short due to an over-reliance on tropes instead of good characterisation...). His Reckoner’s series is a great display of creativity with Superpower Sci-Fi too. To be honest he is a super prolific writer and I could go on and on about all of his series for hours... But if you listen to the lectures then you don’t have to read all of his increasingly long books to get an understanding of his process!

2016 Lecture Series

2020 Lecture Series

Another YouTube series that I really rate is:

On Writing and On World Building by HelloFutureMe - especially for anyone who wanted to know why Avatar: The Last Airbender was such a good series!

Anyways I hope that at least a few people find these as useful as I do :)

« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 08:18:29 PM by NO1SY »

Offline Suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • We'll see.....
    • View Profile
Re: Story Writing YouTube Lecture Series
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 02:22:17 PM »
that sounds like a good watch, I'll have to pop that on my watch list for sure. Getting into other creators heads for their methods is a very underused learning method I think, at least for me.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 05:57:32 PM »
Oh my god! I've watched the 2016 series from Brandon Sanderson. They're super insightful and I found them awesome.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 06:53:54 PM »
Hey hope you find it useful Suuper!

Nice one Vacant, I thought I was the only one nerdy enough to watch lectures on writing for a hobby!

Another channel that I think is very charming and provides some interesting content is Tale Foundry

Also, a little out of left field here, but I have been listening to episodes by Web DM for Dungeons & Dragons ideas, but I have found that the way they approach some of these DnD discussions is actually very helpful For writing and world building also.