September 25, 2017, 07:45:49 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: The Manimal's Art  (Read 4479 times)

Offline Manimal

• God of Thunder & Rock n' Roll
  • Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
The Manimal's Art
« on: May 28, 2016, 04:18:51 PM »
Starting a new once again, I have made yet another thread for my art. The 4th or 5th one I believe. My other threads are full of dead links and are bad to me so I want to start once more. I'm going to post fresh pictures, so starting from my newest art.

I have hardly anything new to post to start this thread since I've barely done a thing since Larry Pine. I'm hoping a new topic will help with that. :D

Starting off with my newest thing. I just did this earlier, I blindly grabbed random records and sketched a face from each. Lots of long haired dudes...I need to work on drawing faces faster, the quality here ranges from meh to terrible but it's what it is. I gotta do it more, good practice to capture the differences in multiple faces.

Who can you recognize?
Spoiler

I posted this before but this is my drawing of Razi's character Hikari for our art trade. This is pretty recent.
Spoiler

Some recent comic pages. I have a whole thread for my comics, this is for my other art. But I will post this anyway. The first is from March, the second April.
Spoiler

So ya let's try this again. As always I am open to critique and stuff of that nature.

Special links to my other art threads.
Comic Thread
The Labors Of Larry Pine (Collab With Lego)

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 09:22:13 AM by Manimal »

Offline RaziKitsune

• Character Design Artist
  • PM for inquiries
    • View Profile
Re: Art
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 10:52:07 PM »
Love the different faces. It is always good to draw multiple facial structures and angles.  Sadly I don't know the classics very well despite being raised by elders, the only one I recognized is Elvis, lol.

Yay, Hikari! I think the outfit came out really well, like you captures the volume of the pants, top, gloves, and thigh bag/pack. As a criticsim goes to this image, I feel the arm anatomy could need a little work- just shape and portion wise. I personally feel one is shorter then the other and that the forearm doesn't tapper down to the wrist - stays decently the same thickness when it should tapper down a little before the wrist.

As comics go, they are pretty interesting! A lot of action is on the pages. I feel you are trying to capture a dynamic view point with the angled pages and angled panels. Maybe work on more straight forward panels so the picture doesn't look tilted overall? You can still draw tilted images for those dynamic view points but with solid framing i think will help not feel like the entire page is tilted. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:54:07 PM by RaziKitsune »

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 11:08:31 PM »
Thanks, the faces where fun. I want to do it again. I just pulled records at random, the hair metal guys are hard to do actually because they have challenging hair. Ha, ya of course Elvis is the most recognizable, Paul McCartney & Paul Stanley as well. There are three guys here that I don't even know the names of!

Hhhm, yes the arms are certainly the weak point there. I am still in a constant struggle with arms/hands, but I am better then before atleast. I wanted to make sure her pants sat correctly, I did a previous take where they looked 2 seconds away from sliding off.

Since those two are opening shots I decided to do some weird things. I have done a lot of comics so now whenever I do something I try to experiment when I can and find weird things I can do. 

Offline Froggy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 12:43:10 AM »
Who needs weird anime hair when you have weird musician hair? I think the faces are quite decent for being done quickly, nice different angles. I actually don't recognise any of them as I'm not really into music...

The first comic page looks good, the positioning of the characters is interesting although it's a little hard to tell what is going on. As for the second page, the perspective on the bottom panel looks pretty good although I think I was staring at it too long and got confused. And I really like the leaves floating across the page.

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 12:55:58 AM »
No anime is this wild.

Maybe the first page is confusing...I wanted to make it jam packed. The guy is running through a kitchen, a phone swinging around, carrying a bowl of dough while employees call to him and someone in the back tries to hold back angry customers. With speech bubbles added it would make more sense. I can see how the second could be confusing. I meant to make it feel breezy and quiet so I put the leaves all over to set a Fall tone.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 05:23:15 AM by Manimal »

Offline suupertramp

• How to draw.....?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 07:38:55 AM »
nice faces, cant say i recognized anyone but thats more me than you.
yeah drawing faces quickly, but also making them recognizable, is a pain in the neck. i try it every now and then :P
keep it up :P

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 03:53:41 PM »
Starting a new comic, we'll see how it goes.

I came up with an idea last night, scribbled basic design elements and did 4 pages of storyboard in like 2 minutes. My comics are best when unplanned so we'll see where it goes.

The idea is a music comic with tabs and stuff put into the music scenes. I wondered how to make music work in a silent format so I'm going to try a few things. It's about a group of college losers who play together and all of them are terrible at it.

Might ink it if I do more.

Spoiler

Featured song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc_F3PaYgl0

Offline BobbyJoeXForgotenSB

• More a Dreamer than an Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 04:03:26 PM »
the facial one i do recognize a few but it really reminds me of this framed poster my dad has where its all just musicians

https://www.flickr.com/photos/furldman/3292200440

what i'm saying is it would be cool to do a collage like that
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 04:12:59 PM by BobbyJoeX »

Offline suupertramp

• How to draw.....?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 04:08:50 PM »
i think your art for your comics is improving. all the practice is paying off :P
nice to see someone doing an idea without thinking about it, i cant stop planning stuff out to the smallest detail so i never get started :P

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 04:15:41 PM »
Neat poster BobbyJoe, ya it would be like that if it had more.

Suuper, ya that's the best way to do it for me. If you plan it too much you'll just keep planning and never get anything done. I've written so much of Mango P.I. that it's like "I'll never get all this done". So my goal with this story is just think about what I want to do and let it come naturally. I haven't even drawn real character designs, I'll figure it out as I go. My comics are better when spontaneous.

We'll see how the art looks when the instruments come in. That will be very tough, I'm going to have the characters use my instruments so I can get every kind of reference picture I need.

Offline BobbyJoeXForgotenSB

• More a Dreamer than an Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 04:25:56 PM »
i think your art for your comics is improving. all the practice is paying off :P
nice to see someone doing an idea without thinking about it, i cant stop planning stuff out to the smallest detail so i never get started :P

yeah thats the issue, i always feel if i draw it , that it is set in stone and i cant change it later

Offline suupertramp

• How to draw.....?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 04:32:32 PM »
@manimal yeah thats why in the one shot manga i did i just randomly did it without much thinking. i agree its pretty much the only way :P i wonder if professional manga artists also do the same, and are just good enough to draw it and make it look good :P

@bobbyjoeX well in most cases you dont have the time or freedom to change details so you are right in a professional sense (like once its gone to print you cant change it obviously). also if you want to change a manga page 8 you are limited to fitting it between the already drawn pages 7 and 9 so the story still flows smoothly, which is a pain if you want to change something about it :P
since i have the same issue, i either use a story i dont care about so i dont mind mucking it up (which will give me the most experience), or just practice planning out individual pages (like random bits of your story) to get the experience :P

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 09:59:14 PM »
That is a failing with not planning. In my school series I would introduce plot lines and pretend they never happened because I didn't know what to do. For me I just need to draw, I don't want to spend a lot of time planning because I want to draw, and to stay productive I need a comic to make, so I'm going to wing it through this one. My comics are my practice.

So here is page 2, now it gets hard. If I ink it a lot of things will be fixed.

Spoiler

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
Re: The Manimal's Art
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 09:22:52 AM »
Page 3!

This was fun to do, I like drawing instruments and people playing them, even if it's very hard. The singer's guitar is emitting feedback since the volume is cranked he's letting it shake around. Don't know if I display that well enough.

Spoiler

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: The Manimal's Art
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 10:31:14 AM »
You've watched BECK before by any chance? Could be something to look for in terms of inspiration.

Looking good Manimal, and I felt that feedback from here. I hate it when that happens.

Those poses can't have been easy to make, along with the instruments. I wonder, do you know the tune to the song the players are playing?

Nice one in any case! Keep at it man. Your input is always impressive