July 03, 2022, 05:08:38 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Art Commissions [ p a i d ]  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Ogawa Setsu

• Professional Dreamer
    • View Profile
Art Commissions [ p a i d ]
« on: April 29, 2016, 01:51:12 PM »
Yo guys! I am Setsu and I am currently trying to save up for college in UK. It's too expensive for a Slovak person and my parents are not able to get me into the school, so I decided I'm going to save up myself. My best friend in the world is all the way in UK and studying in UK is the only way I can finally be with her for a long time.

So, I decided to open commissions! (Which I hope someone will be interested in..)
They are PayPal only!

Head shot drawing:
Sketch - 0,50€
Lineart - 1€
Full colour - 2,50€

Waist shot drawing:
Sketch - 1€
Lineart - 2,50 €
Full colour - 5 €

Knee shot drawing:
Sketch - 2,50€
Lineart - 5€
Full colour - 10€

Fineliner sketch - 1€

My prices are too low, to be honest, but I can't expect anyone to commiss me even now. I swear to God, I am going to draw my butt off!

× Prices for one character
× Prices may change slightly if character is too complicated
× Second character is always 40%+ of original price.

E X A M P L E S
Tumblr - http://sparklysetsu.tumblr.com/
((I'll add more examples as I draw more. I just need to get more comfortable with my art, haha.. Please, pray for me lol jk))
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 07:35:58 AM by Ogawa Setsu »
Saving up for college, opening art commissions - http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,16119.0.html

Offline Ogawa Setsu

• Professional Dreamer
    • View Profile
Re: Art Commissions [ p a i d ]
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 02:55:28 AM »
EDIT 1// Added my new tumblr blog and added more examples. Hopefully, I am finally doing it right!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 07:36:20 AM by Ogawa Setsu »
Saving up for college, opening art commissions - http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,16119.0.html

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 08:13:00 AM »
I checked the site and I think the thing is you don't really have enough drawings posted up showcasing all you can do.  You have 17 posts but only 4 of those are drawings.  Those 4 drawings are basically all headshots and to be truthful, this isn't the best site to sell artwork.  We like to be more of a community of giving tips and helping each other out.

I know you want to sell your stuff but you need to be a little patient too, not everyone is on everyday (both your posts are on April 29th).  Also here's some tips on selling art.

1. Sell in your area and to those around you.  I say this because more people will be interested in having the drawing rather than a picture of a drawing on the internet.  Since you're 15 you can sell around at your school where students might sacrifice some of their lunch money for your art.  Even if you only get a few people it is still better than none.  If you're fast enough then you can probably sell on the streets (if your laws allow you to).  I say fast enough because alot of people on the streets will want you to draw of themselves or someone else but they won't wait hours.  I would say between 2 and 10 minutes is pretty optimal for a headshot (maybe 15 for some color since you use colored pencils).

2. Go get your customers off the internet.  I know you're probably thinking that you did that by posting here but that isn't what i mean.  I mean to look for people who want drawings not sitting here waiting for people to come to you.  There are many artists out there on the internet and you're basically having to compete with all of them (Deviant art is a good place to sell but it is hard to get noticed there).

3. Build up your portfolio.  Like I said earlier 4 drawings isn't going to attract attention.  You want to show that you're super dedicated and have lots of work done.  This makes you look more trustworthy because on the internet there are people who scam others so potential customers can be frightened at first.  Also by having a large portfolio it can make people think you have more people buying than there are (it's like "Oh snap, this person has lots of customers, they must be pretty reliable").

4. Keep good relations with your previous customers, ask them if they want anything else drawn.  Good customers will come back for more just like people do in restaurants.

Anyways, I hoped this helped you but if you do go to Deviantart then still stick around here.  There are lots of friendly people here so get to know us rather than be completely business like :3

Offline What About Christmas?

• The Hotties of all Hotties
  • College Student, Still Frizzy Haired and Stressed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 08:37:07 AM »
The thing that pisses me off is that I put my decent art out there for an absolutely ridiculous price, yet nobody is interested. Oh well. Thank you.

I am not trying to be selfish, or anything, but please, take into consideration that someone who is trying to apply for art college and is 15 years old is not going to draw like freakin' Masashi Kishimoto (even though I am not a fan of his style). Supporting young artists is something that is needed and I see that getting supported is really difficult. Ah well.

Also not trying to seem rude, but honestly. Compare my prices to others. It's like me giving everything away for free.

Keep in mind, you only waited a day for commissions... Things take time. I'm very happy that you are trying to do this though! A great cause! :thumbsup:

Offline Crimson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 01:03:02 PM »
I have to say a big "amen" to what Matsui Kenshin said. Its really true. Also keep in mind there are other websites that can meet your needs maybe even better than "Deviant art" such as kickstarter and patreon. What ive come to find is there are alot of people on this forum who are willing to pay for art but as was mentioned before you have to be flexible and patient. Alot of the people looking for artists here only have a dollar and a dream. Youll find many who  are young or inexperienced in the field, so it takes time for them to work with you and figure out what EXACTLY they want.
Ill do my best

Offline Ogawa Setsu

• Professional Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 07:38:01 AM »
Spoiler
I checked the site and I think the thing is you don't really have enough drawings posted up showcasing all you can do.  You have 17 posts but only 4 of those are drawings.  Those 4 drawings are basically all headshots and to be truthful, this isn't the best site to sell artwork.  We like to be more of a community of giving tips and helping each other out.

I know you want to sell your stuff but you need to be a little patient too, not everyone is on everyday (both your posts are on April 29th).  Also here's some tips on selling art.

1. Sell in your area and to those around you.  I say this because more people will be interested in having the drawing rather than a picture of a drawing on the internet.  Since you're 15 you can sell around at your school where students might sacrifice some of their lunch money for your art.  Even if you only get a few people it is still better than none.  If you're fast enough then you can probably sell on the streets (if your laws allow you to).  I say fast enough because alot of people on the streets will want you to draw of themselves or someone else but they won't wait hours.  I would say between 2 and 10 minutes is pretty optimal for a headshot (maybe 15 for some color since you use colored pencils).

2. Go get your customers off the internet.  I know you're probably thinking that you did that by posting here but that isn't what i mean.  I mean to look for people who want drawings not sitting here waiting for people to come to you.  There are many artists out there on the internet and you're basically having to compete with all of them (Deviant art is a good place to sell but it is hard to get noticed there).

3. Build up your portfolio.  Like I said earlier 4 drawings isn't going to attract attention.  You want to show that you're super dedicated and have lots of work done.  This makes you look more trustworthy because on the internet there are people who scam others so potential customers can be frightened at first.  Also by having a large portfolio it can make people think you have more people buying than there are (it's like "Oh snap, this person has lots of customers, they must be pretty reliable").

4. Keep good relations with your previous customers, ask them if they want anything else drawn.  Good customers will come back for more just like people do in restaurants.

Anyways, I hoped this helped you but if you do go to Deviantart then still stick around here.  There are lots of friendly people here so get to know us rather than be completely business like :3

Thank you for the tips! ((And let me apologise for the late reply - I was busy.. Hah))
I understand I need a larger portfolio, so I decided to make a tumblr page where I'll just post my drawings, no biggie. I still have a lot to upload, but.. I will get there eventually.

Offline Ogawa Setsu

• Professional Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 07:39:26 AM »
The thing that pisses me off is that I put my decent art out there for an absolutely ridiculous price, yet nobody is interested. Oh well. Thank you.

I am not trying to be selfish, or anything, but please, take into consideration that someone who is trying to apply for art college and is 15 years old is not going to draw like freakin' Masashi Kishimoto (even though I am not a fan of his style). Supporting young artists is something that is needed and I see that getting supported is really difficult. Ah well.

Also not trying to seem rude, but honestly. Compare my prices to others. It's like me giving everything away for free.

Keep in mind, you only waited a day for commissions... Things take time. I'm very happy that you are trying to do this though! A great cause! :thumbsup:

Oi, now it's been far more than a day and I've added more examples!! (Omg I sound so rude omg no I am just saying that omg no I am patient sorry omg fml)
I am happyyy ;;

Offline Ogawa Setsu

• Professional Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 07:40:04 AM »
I have to say a big "amen" to what Matsui Kenshin said. Its really true. Also keep in mind there are other websites that can meet your needs maybe even better than "Deviant art" such as kickstarter and patreon. What ive come to find is there are alot of people on this forum who are willing to pay for art but as was mentioned before you have to be flexible and patient. Alot of the people looking for artists here only have a dollar and a dream. Youll find many who  are young or inexperienced in the field, so it takes time for them to work with you and figure out what EXACTLY they want.

I understand! Taking that as a tip, but I am not good enough for patreon or kickstarter or anything-

Offline a

• Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 12:36:50 PM »
I'd like to also put a caution on underpricing your artwork. I've been looking into this lately (I plan on over the next 2-3 months trying to build a more professional porfolio with finished pieces for once), and the general conesnsus for artwork is:

Price = Cost of materials + (Time spent x Y)

Y = hourly wage you feel comfortable making. So theoretically, if you spent 2 hours on a drawing and you valued yourself at $5 per hour, and the canvas cost $10, then it's $20. Obviously price increases with quality of artwork and quality of materials.

I'd also suggest that right now you focus on building up a more professional portfolio too, focusing on more solid and finished pieces. If you have a good quality scanner, ensure to scan and adjust in photoshop, or use a high quality camera.

You have a cute colouring style, and i'm sure with more examples, refinement and practice you'll be able to find commission on the likes of DeviantArt after a while.

The best thing i've read about pricing is roughly; 'The value you set is the value people will always see in your work.'

Also please add another website other than Tumblr, or atleast change the theme. On my laptop, a good 1/4 of the page is just a grey bar thing at the top, and i can't fit an entire image on the screen at once (so much scrolling).
Also i've never heard of kneeshot, and i'd personally remove it. It illustrates a weakness in your drawing (you can't draw feet well, im assuming).

Good luck on your journey trying to study in the UK!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 12:41:28 PM by The SlamJam »

Offline Ogawa Setsu

• Professional Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 03:58:56 AM »
Thank you very much!

Well, about the portfolio - Personally I don't like tumblr very much and I also dislike the deviantART community. I just can't find a place to fit myself in, but I might try the deviantART in the end. ><
Kneeshots - Exactly.. Not enough practice while drawing feet, I always happen to draw them too small, and that just doesn't look good, haha XD

Pricing - I am afraid that if I add more price, people won't really be into commissioning me anymore. I don't want that to happen, even though right now, there's not anyone really commissioning me anyways.. Hah-

Offline RaziKitsune

• Character Design Artist
  • PM for inquiries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 04:34:33 AM »
Hello there! Your traditional art is very nice~ I really like the 1st picture, the coloring and shading is good.
I recommend trying out the DeviantArt community again. If anything, to have a better way to display your art and grow your portfolio.

You are just starting out, I assume, and starting off can be hard. Specially since you don't have a -not sure of the right word/term here, but a "fanbased" community for your art yet. When I first started off my prices started at $5 and went up to $20.  It took awhile - roughly a year- but I was able to build up my portfolio and fanbased that I was able to slowly raise my prices to where I am today. Now it has been two years since I begun doing freelance work and now my prices start at $25 and go up to $120. That may not seem a lot or maybe it does- its opinionated but the great thing is; I'm not at my full potential yet with LOADS of room to improve.
As my grandfather would say; "You are learning knew things everyday and with everyday of practice your skill will grow so don't ever give up."

Now I don't think Patreon or Kickstarter would be the best option for 'commissions/client' work but expanding to any site 'art' related wont hurt. Reason why I say this about Kickstarter or Patreon even though they are art related, they are more so for projects especially Kickstarter. Projects like comics, monthly pinup/calendars, animations, the list goes on~ one good scan through of the site shows you want generally is posted there and gets the most positive response.
Now Patreon you can use it for art based client stuff but unless you already have a fanbase like say "Sakimi-chan"- which is a BIG fanbase so I'm not meaning like you don't have to have that BIG of one but clearly have some, then it will be hard to gain client work there. Hell she barely actually does 'client' work on patreon, she's more famous for fanart and genderswap themes of famous characters lol. Love her work but man do I get jealous when I see those digits on her page >/////<  :heart:

Anyways; Just starting is the hard part, once the ball is rolling, it gets easier.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 04:48:45 AM by RaziKitsune »